BEAUTI*FULLY TALL


Friday, June 17, 2011

A Long Legged Love Story



Hi, my name is Anastasia and I have Long Legs. Whenever I say that I feel like I have just stepped into an AA meeting but it’s true that, whenever I meet someone new, I have the urge to just blurt it out, to just get the fact that I have outrageously long legs out in the open before anyone else can comment on them. Why? Because, as I stand there among a group of people I have just met, my legs dominate the conversation. They become the quintessential elephant in the room because, as much as I ignore them, as much as I try to jut out my hip and appear shorter, they stand there ready to take over the room. Then, the conversation becomes about ME, ME, ME! Or really, more like LEGS, LEGS, LEGS!
They really are exceptionally long at a mind-blowing 38’’ inseam. People aren’t exaggerating when they notice that my legs seem to stem out of my armpits, flowing down until they meet my size ten shoes. Yes, they are size tens. Not thirteens, not fifteens – tens. You can measure them.
It isn’t easy being bombarded with the stereotypical “tall” questions when you hardly know the person quizzing you. Being asked “Do you play basketball?”, “Are your parent’s tall?”, “Is it hard to find a boyfriend?” can really get on your last nerve. It always strikes me as funny that people assume that it is perfectly fine to demand answers to these questions when you are tall. I sometimes wonder if it works in reverse and have a secret desire to ask short people, fat people and skinny people some questions of my own.
Me: Do you play mini-put?
Short person: No, why?
Me: Oh, just because you are so small…haha! Get it?
My legs certainly grab attention. And, while I didn’t always see this as a good thing growing up, I can’t help but relish the attention now that I have grown into my body (well, as much as is humanly possible). My long legs have afforded me many opportunities. People remember me by my long legs. This has come in handy in interviews where the only thing differentiating me from my competitors is that “something special” that I most certainly have. It’s helped me in modelling, in public speaking and has helped me “stand out” (ugh I can just hear the short people laughing) from the huge university classroom crowd. And, contrary to popular belief that men have to always be taller then women, my legs have given me power in relationships. Short men love long legs. Tall men love long legs.
And so you see, the questions that people ask when I meet them may annoy me, they may shock me and they may even make me blush. But do you know what’s great about them? People are asking about me because I’m special and they want to know me. And that’s more than I can say for any average gal. So, instead of gritting your teeth the next time you are asked a “tall question”, laugh and smile and answer it with pride. You have been made to stand out and rock out, girl, so take the time to create your own Long Legged Love Story!!

4 comments:

  1. What i great read ! It was as if she was talking about me lolol !!! Katie 6'3" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true !! I am 6'2" and get very annoyed when people are constantly asking me how tall i am. I don't understand why they really Need to know but I get what you are saying and you make some great points. I couldn't imagine not being tall. I just have to be thankfull more often and not get annoyed with people who are just curious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup...it's all about the legs.
    ~Taj 6'2"

    ReplyDelete