BEAUTI*FULLY TALL


Thursday, June 2, 2011

THE TRUTH ABOUT BEING TALL



I’ve been asked quite often throughout my…ahem, 35+ years, what it’s like to be a Tall girl and quite honestly, I’ve never given exactly the right response. Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve always given a response that’s typically tailored favorably to the situation but it’s taken me years to figure out my answer and you may not like what you are about to hear.
Before I get too deep allow me to give you some background about me that may help you understand me a little bit better.
I grew up on a farm in North-Central, rural Iowa. In fact, the population of the closest town to our farm was about 200 people. Everyone knew who the Jennings’ girls were; in fact, everyone knew the entire Jennings family. Our family has been living and farming in the area since the early 1900’s and we are tall and outgoing in a small community. Everybody knows everybody.
I wasn’t the tallest girl in Northern Iowa. There was one other girl taller than I was. She stood 6’5” and although I didn’t know her personally in high school, I did play basketball against her in college. I actually felt short! However there were quite a few tall girls all over Northern Iowa and Southern Minnesota, many were right at the 6’0” mark or just above.
There are so many facets to the question “What’s it like to be a Tall Girl” and the simple answer for me personally would be: ‘It’s awesome’. However, that’s not the full truth. In fact, it’s far from the truth. It’s not always awesome. I wouldn’t change it for the world but here’s what I normally wouldn’t tell you.
· Sometimes the stares and the comments get overwhelming—when I’m alone and I don’t feel like talking I can ignore it but when I’m with my very protective youngest sister, she tends to get a little frustrated. I went through a period of being angry but I realized that it did me no good. People typically don’t mean to be rude, they are merely curious.
· It’s not always fun to be the tallest person when there’s no other tall people around—yes, its true. When there’s a large group of people that are much shorter than you it can be uncomfortable. It’s difficult to hear what everyone is saying so you bend awkwardly in order to hear.
· Dating is difficult—either the guys are scared/intimated of you because of your height or some woman want a taller man. I spent my high school years and a few college years limiting myself to only men taller than me until I realized how much I was limiting myself. Even if you don’t care about your height, others do.
· Let’s face it, clothes shopping is hard—if I need a new pair of jeans I can’t go into a store and simply buy them. I have to buy them online. In high school and college, this was horrible. I was a walking mess. Now thankfully, we have stores like Long Legs to help us fashionably attire our long bodies.
So am I saying that being tall is horrible? NO WAY! 95% of the time I enjoy standing out in the crowd, I like the attention it gives me, and it’s my conversation starter. But, there’s that 5% of the time when I wish I could blend in and not get noticed because I don’t feel well or I didn’t shower or I didn’t wash my hair…whatever the reason. I’m so happy that I don’t have to dress weird to get noticed or wear crazy makeup and a Mohawk to have someone talk to me. I can simply walk into a room and immediately I turn heads. That’s some pretty awesome stuff. Thanks mom and dad.

7 comments:

  1. I can relate to all of these feelings. I am 6'1 and love my height but sometimes.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this 100% - well except for the growing up on a farm in Iowa part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can absolutely relate !! I love my height but there are some days that i wish i could just disappear in a crowd (but luckily those days don't happen to often).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! I'm 6'5 and grew up on a farm in a small town and I know all the feelings you just expressed! Thank God for basketball to get me threw the awkward high school stage! I'm lucky to have married a man taller than me to share the experience with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE BEING TALL!!....I HATE BEING "SKINNY" I hate the word "skinny".....Im 47 years old and went from a "normal" height at about 13 to 6Ft at 14-15 years of age ......I still fight to keep weight on.....and lets face it nobody has sympathy for a skinny girl.....yet you would never go up to someone and say "oh Karla...your so fat"....but for some reason people think its ok to say "oh Karla ...your so skinny"......YA THINK!!!...it really has pissed me off over the years....however, I would rather be "thin" (the prefered word to use) than heavy. I was in my 20's during the 80's so I use to have HUGE hair and always wore at least 21/2 inch heels....people would come up to me ...strangers.....and say "can I ask you a personal question"?...before they could I would say...."about 6'4" with the heels and the hair".....they would be shocked...how did you know what I was going to say?......cause I get asked every day. I prefered shorter men or men just my height I was never really attracted to really tall men.....and if some guy had the guts to come up and talk to me or ask me to dance and he was short I would dance with that guy no problem...I figure this guy must be real secure with who he his to have the guts to come and ask me to dance because I was not only tall but wore very wild clothes ( I use to model)....I get depressed when my weight goes down...because I feel like that 14 year old skinny girl who no boys will go out with....lets face it 14 year old boys arent interested in 39 inch legs .....there interested in "boobs"! and thats usually another thing tall skinny people dont have!...lol....use to bother me as a young girl....could care less now....all in all.... I wouldnt trade it for the world....I still put on my high heels ....I still have big hair and Im still "thin"....but at 47 I still gets the boys heads turning.......being tall is the best!!!.....be proud ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great comments and have to say now being 53 I have embraced my height and i am very proud of it. I use it to my advantage at all times. It is nice being tall but as a teenager I loathed it and just wanted to be like the other girls in school. I love to wear heels as well I don't avoid it like I did when i was a teenager. Thank god for Long legs - fantastic store

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Iowa -- great state, great people! (Two of the best years of my life were in graduate school at Iowa State.)

    ReplyDelete