BEAUTI*FULLY TALL


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Why I can't stop talking about being tall !!



If you would’ve told me 20 years ago that I would be writing about being a tall woman, I would’ve laughed in your face. Twenty years ago I was a senior in high school trying to figure out how to handle growing up and being tall in a world that wasn’t equipped to for me. You see, this year is my 20 year anniversary of graduating from high school. In fact, in about a month I’m going back to Northern Iowa to see as many of my graduating class as possible. Considering that I graduated with only 35 people, I hope to see all of them.
20 years ago I did everything I could to hide from something that was so obvious to everyone around me. I was 6’4” and taller than most guys. I didn’t know how to handle it and I had a lot of anger because I never knew how I was supposed to act. So…I did nothing. I pretended that my height wasn’t there and went on with my life. While that was probably the best thing I could’ve done, it took me a long time to get rid of anger.
The anger was there because of what I called ‘the couldn’ts’. I couldn’t find clothes that fit, I couldn’t blend in, I couldn’t control the anger because I wanted to be anyone else but me. I put so many limitations on myself and it wasn’t until a few years later that I realized how lucky I was.
“Just once, let a guy taller than me ask me out on a date,” was a common thought of mine but it never happened. At least I was lucky, because my family was tall and I suppose they could relate on some level but I was so much taller than everyone else. I stood out no matter what I did and although my family was a great support for me, I wished I could’ve talked to someone or had somewhere to turn.
So now, 20 years later here I am. I share my stories in the hopes that they might help someone. I know I wish I had someone like me to talk to 20 years ago or at least I wish there would’ve been the plethora of resources available that there are now. I’m a lucky girl and the best part…I know how lucky I am. I hope you do too.

3 comments:

  1. You are a real inspiration Holli !!! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holli, we are the same age and went through the same thing. I am going to my 20th reunion next week....and wearing the 3"-4" heels I now so proudly wear.

    My nickname in high school: Lurch

    I feel your pain and I understand where it came from...being treated like a tourist attraction....being gawked at....watching the little cheerleader and perky girls all dainty and flirty and getting the attention for other reasons than the amount of shade they cast on a sunny day.....

    I'm an Amazon and I know how you feel, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dhstyles.com NOW SAVE 40% off your ENTIRE order!
    Exclusive Discount Code: WELCOMEU40
    *Must enter during checkout to apply*
    Sexy Dresses, Sexy Dress, Sexy Top, Sexy Tops
    Sexy Dresses
    Sexy Dress
    Sexy Top
    Sexy Tops

    ReplyDelete